The Grammar 3 Handbook
The Grammar 3 Handbook is designed to follow The Phonics Handbook and the Handbooks for Grammar 1 and 2. It provides extensive photocopiable material and a wealth of practical advice for teaching children in their fourth school year.
The Grammar 3 Handbook is intended to:
• extend and refine the children's understanding of the grammar already taught • introduce new elements of grammar,
• teach new spelling patterns systematically,
• develop dictionary and thesaurus skills,
• improve vocabulary and comprehension, and
• reinforce the teaching in The Grammar 2 Handbook.
As part of the Jolly Phonics programme, the teaching is multisensory, active and progresses at a challenging pace. It places emphasis on consolidating the children's learning and helping them to apply their skills. Each part of speech is taught with its own action and colour. The actions enliven the teaching and make the learning easier. The colours, which are useful for identifying parts of speech in sentences match those used by Montessori Schools. Like The Phonics Handbook, the Handbooks for Grammar 1, 2 and 3 provide all the essential teaching ideas. The programme continues in the fifth school year with The Grammar 4 Handbook.
The pages are slightly wider than A4 so that copies can be made without showing the binding